Skip to main content

Northern Kittitas County Historical Society (NKCHS)

Home
Order History Books
Telephone Museum
Carpenter House
Join NKCHS
Board Members
Contact NKCHS
Links
Fund Raising
Newsletters
History Timeline
Cle Elum FIRSTS
Order Cookbooks

CARPENTER HOUSE MUSEUM


A step over the threshold of the Carpenter House is a step into the colorful history of the mining communities of Upper Kittitas County. This 1914 mansion with its spacious rooms, tiny alcoves, and third floor ballroom holds the story of Cle Elum's first successful banker and former mayor of Cle Elum, Frank Carpenter, and his family.


In 1989, the Carpenter Family donated the home and all of its original furnishings to the Historical Society for the express purpose of creating a museum. Local families have donated a few of their beloved furnishings and ancestors' old country costumes to make the museum a true example of Cle Elum's past.


NKCHS began a reciprocal relationship with the High Country Artists in 2000. In exchange for gallery space and a working studio in the Carpenter House, the High Country Artists provide docent and caretaking services for the museum. HCA exhibits rotate monthly.


More information on the High Country Artists can be seen on their website at

www.highcountryartists.com


Carpenter House Description and Family History